Lacy, Annie Pearl 1977-11-26

From SWC Oral History Collection
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Annie Pearl Lacy reminisces on her family history. She talks briefly about her childhood years including education. She addresses her marriage to Mr. Lacy. Finally she talks about her daughter Janice.

General Interview Information

Interviewee Name:Annie Pearl Lacy

Additional Parties Recorded:n/a

Date: November 26, 1977

Location: Jacksonville, Texas

Interviewer:Susan Harwell



Tape 1, Side 1: Mrs. Lacy was born in Jacksonville Texas in 1905. Her father was WC Morrill, a native of Georgia, and her mother was Georgia Anne Priestly, a native of Cherokee County. Her father came to Texas before the turn of the century to come with his immediate family. He was a farmer. Her parents were married in 1900. They had six children: Daisy Hester Morrill (1901), William Pope Morrill (1903-1970), Annie Pearl Morrill (1905), Katharine Lolita Morrill (1911-1926), Boris Bashca Morrill (1916) [sixth not listed, but her name was Kelsey Ray Morrill, born 1907, an accomplished musician]. The six children attended a high-rated rural high school. All graduated from Galeton high school which was a ten grade high school. The wooden building in which they started school burnt, so the building was rebuilt into a modern two story building. Their father was one of the trustees at the school. He provided them good means to get to school. Before they got the car, they would generally walk, but would occasionally ride in a mule drawn buggy. As the children started to graduate from school, they would marry off. Her oldest sister married a man who was in the army during WWI, and they had several children. Annie finished school in 1924. Afterwards she worked as a sales clerk at department stores in Jackson. Mrs. Lacy and her sister went to singing school studying music. They took a course from the Columbia Conservatory of Music. They greatly enjoyed this. Her brother then married and moved off. Mrs. Lacy married in 1928. The Morrill family raised different vegetables, made syrup, and grew cotton. The family would rent out to individuals. One group of individuals had a brother who had come to visit, who would later turn out to be Mrs. Lacy's husband. The couple had a home wedding in which her father gave her away and one of her first cousins performed the ceremony. After the ceremony they went back to Mr. Lacy's home where they lived for four or five years, then later moved to Cherokee County. During the years they were away, they had their first child. Mrs. Lacy knew how to do the housework from her mother's teachings. They attended church at the Baptist Church or Church of Christ. Her sister and she would provide music for the church until she married. They had one daughter, Janice Lacy Harwell (born May 1932). They moved to Cherokee County when Janice was six months old. Mr. Lacy felt he would better benefit the barber business if he were in a larger community like Jacksonville, where there were more people. Mr. Lacy was a WWI veteran. He served onthe Panama Canal during the war. He died at the age of 69. In the beginning of WWII they bought land from her dad; it was here they built their home and a gas station that Mrs. Lacy helped run. His barber shop was within his house, and business was good. When Mr. Lacy's health began to fae, he was to get rid of the store. The government at the time was paying a pension. After they got rid of the store, they did the things they wanted until he died. Janice began going to school in Galeton then went a couple of years at another school until the buses were put in Galeton. She graduated from Galeton in 1949, went to college in Jacksonville and carpooled with friends to school. Janice had one year of college, married in 1950 to a man stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. Their first two children were born at Fort Hood: Harold Jr. (1951) and Susan Kay (1952). Her husband was an army career man, and they moved around quite a bit. When Harold was a baby they came to Janice's home, then moved to Washington DC. They returned to Fort Hood, then received orders to go to France, where they spent three years. Upon returning to the United States, they moved to Fort Louis, Washington, and had two more children Cindy Lou (1957) and Pamela Lynn (1959). They spent three years in Germany, and at the time of the interview, her daughter lived outside of Fort Worth Texas.

Tape 1, Side 2: blank

Range Dates: 1900-1977

Bulk Dates: 1905-1977

Access Information

Original Recording Format: cassette

Recording Format Notes: digitized October 2017, Audio CD available in Reading Room

Transcript: no

Thank you for your interest in this oral history interview. Our oral history collection is available to patrons in the Southwest Collection's Reading Room, located on the campus of Texas Tech University. For reading room hours, visit our website. Please contact Reference Staff at least one week prior to your visit to ensure the oral history you are interested in will be available. Due to copyright issues, duplications of our oral histories can only be made for family members. If an oral history transcript has been made available online, the link will be provided on this page. More information on accessing our oral histories is located here. Preferred citation style can be found here.